Friday 9 April 2010

Thanks, but no thanks - rejecting MPAC

A deeply illiberal group called MPAC has called on people to vote Lib Dem or Tory to ensure the defeat of Hendon's Labour MP. I have been aware of MPAC for many years and I most certainly do not want anyone to vote for me for the reasons that they suggest. I am a very strong opponent of this organisation. I have posted the following on MPAC's highly unpleasant website:
"I am Matthew Harris, the Liberal Democrat Parliamentary candidate for Hendon. Just to make it clear, I do not want the support (implied or otherwise) of MPAC. I am pleased and proud to be a friend of Israel, campaigning for a two-state solution that will bring peace, justice and security to Palestinans and Israelis alike. I strongly dislike MPAC's policies and its campaigning methods. I am delighted to have the support of a number of Muslim people living in Hendon and I was very pleased to speak at last week's Barnet Muslim Forum hustings in the constituency. Everyone who was there will have heard about my record on issues that matter most to Muslims and others, and can vote for me or not - that's their individual choice. But if anyone is thinking of voting for me because MPAC has advised them to vote Lib Dem or Tory as a way of ousting Hendon's Labour MP, I would advise them to vote for someone else - I reject MPAC's support."





No comments:

Post a Comment