Tuesday 23 March 2010

Celebrating Norouz 1389 - Iranian New Year

I was delighted on Friday night to be at a most enjoyable charity dinner to celebrate Norouz, Iranian New Year. I had been invited to buy a ticket by Nahid Boethe, who many of you will remember as having been Hendon's Lib Dem candidate last time around. Nahid is herself a British Iranian, and she thought correctly that I would enjoy this event and find it interesting. However much I detest Iran's current government, I have huge respect for the Iranian people and their culture. The music, food and company at this dinner were all most enjoyable and it was great to speak to several people who live in Hendon. Thanks very much to Nahid for prompting me to come and for introducing me to the audience in her own speech to the dinner; I very much hope to have continued contact with our local Iranian community in Hendon. However, the evening was also suffused with deep sadness, as it had been organised by the Laila Salehzehi Charitable Foundation, which was created in 2008 by the family and friends of Laila Salehzehi, a local woman who died tragically in a car accident in 2007. I am filled with respect for this charity's work and am honoured to have been present for what was a very memorable evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment